Ms. Famili focuses her practice on environmental litigation, enforcement defense and regulatory compliance counseling, with a particular emphasis on solid and hazardous waste management, water discharges, and environmental remediation. Ms. Famili has handled litigation and regulatory matters arising under a variety of environmental laws including the Clean Water Act (CWA), Clean Air Act (CAA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) and state counterparts. Ms. Famili has successfully represented companies in civil and administrative enforcement proceedings, contaminated property litigation, citizen suits and administrative permitting challenges.
- Advising property owners and developers on environmental liabilities associated with contaminated properties and developing strategic approaches to site investigation and remediation.
- Advising retail industrial and manufacturing clients on compliance and permitting issues pertaining to solid and hazardous waste management, water discharges and stormwater management.
- Defending corporate clients against governmental enforcement actions, including administrative compliance orders, information requests, and cleanup and abatement orders.
- Successfully defending company against state common law tort claims related to alleged sub-surface migration of fly-ash contamination in groundwater.
- Securing dismissal of administrative enforcement action filed against property owners for alleged water and sediment pollution violations and successfully defending dismissal on appeal.
- Successfully appealing federal district court decision dismissing RCRA citizen suit action pertaining to volatile organic compound (VOC) contamination migrating into the Baltimore Harbor in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- University of Maryland School of Law; Baltimore, Maryland (J.D., cum laude, Certificate of Concentration in Environmental Law, 2010)
- Temple University; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Betta Kappa, 2007)
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- American Bar Association, Subcommittee of Women Environmental Lawyers
- Women Lawyers of Sacramento, Board Member
Admitted to Practice in: